Tuesday, January 1, 2013

{Review} The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Scorpio Races
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Format: Library Hardcover
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release date: October 18, 2011
Date Read: February 26 - February 27
Rating: ✭✭✭✭
Photobucket
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

I didn't adore Shiver.
I didn't like Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie.
I loved THE SCORPIO RACES.

I'd like to praise Ms. Stiefvater for her writing. It's absolutely gorgeous; I've never seen anything like it. It didn't show as much as it did in SHIVER, but it was beautiful nonetheless.

Kudos for coming up with such an interesting plot. If you know me, I love horses and paranormal. So, water horses + romance + Maggie = greatness. I loved the Scorpio Races, and the water horses, of course. Especially Corr. The ending left me screaming for more and at the same time at peace. Sort of like JK Rowling and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I loved the romance with all my heart. For those whom are fond of bad insta-love and making out the second they've met, look elsewhere. Sean and Puck didn't kiss until almost the end of the book, and pretty much didn't make a lot of moves on each other. It was a sweet romance, and seeing them fall slowly in love tore my heart to pieces and then sewed it back together.

The characters were extremely likable. For once, when Ms. Stiefvater says that Puck was pretty but nothing special, she meant it, and Puck didn't give a damn about what she looked like. She was a strong, bold character, and I fell in love with Sean from the first moment. Utterly quiet, mysterious, and a master horseman. *cough* I must confess that even though I'm a teenager, I had quite a thing for George Holly, the wickedly handsome, kind, and humorous late-thirty-year old American.

But it was a bit confusing. I think it was meant to be that way, but it made my brain hurt. I don't think this took place in the 21st century; I'd be thinking around the mid-1900s, where men like Holly were still respectable and dressed like that (not that I'm saying that men don't do that anymore, but I got a MAD MEN vibe from it). THE SCORPIO RACES took place on a fictional island, I assume. What did the capaill uisce do when they weren't on land? How did the US and other countries respond to these vicious, man-eating "water horses"?

But it was a good book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oceana is a French-blooded teenager who enjoys stalking British boys and asking them to marry her. She was diagnosed with severe fangirl disorder in 2011. Able to curse like a sailor with an angelic voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment