Friday, January 4, 2013

{Review} The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

Title: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Format: e-book
Publisher: Self-published
Release date: December 13, 2012
Date Read: January 2, 2013 - January 4, 2013
Rating: ✭✭
Photobucket
There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

It seems that I've been comparing every book with 'broken main characters' lately to PUSHING THE LIMITS, which was a perfect example for novels of that topic, even though I didn't love it.

The plot is terribly cliché. I think we've all read that story about the traumatized heroine and the abused hero, or vice-versa. The whole books consists of Callie forcing Kayden away, then beckoning him back, and pushing him away again, and Kayden leaving, then more making out - but pretty much chock-full of eye-rolling angst.

It had a serious cliffhanger ending. I actually kept on skipping after the last page to check if there was an epilogue, because holy hell. That was some serious shit that shows you right there that love can't save you all the time. I  don't actually think there should be a sequel to it, because it was a pretty intense end.

I can't really say anything about Callie except that she annoyed the hell out of me, and her constant, pointless slut-shaming (or just girlfriend-shaming, to be honest) did not help me sympathize with her character. Yes, horrible things happened to her, but she didn't need to be so unlikable, either.

Kayden was just a 'meh' for me. He wanted to protect Callie all the time, and I guess he has to because she certainly isn't a strong main character. I didn't find him interesting or swoon-worthy at all, though I did feel terrible for him.

I really liked Seth, even if he was a stereotypical gay guy. But a lot of my gay friends are like that, so whatever. Bubbly, fun, and cute, he was probably the only character that didn't make me want to punch a wall.

The other characters were mostly dull and forgettable.

The writing was simple to read and kind of amateur. There were contextual and grammatical errors, and while Callie's journal entries were supposed to be thought-provoking , mature, and beautiful, I found them rather cheesy.

"In the existence of our lives, there is a single coincidence that brings us together and for a moment, our hearts beat as one."

Yeah... I don't know about you guys, but I really snorted when I read that. Sorry for disappointing you.

A boring read for me. I don't have a lot to say about it.

Oceana is a French-blooded teenager who enjoys stalking British boys and asking them to marry her. She was diagnosed with severe fangirl disorder in 2011. Able to curse like a sailor with an angelic voice.


1 comment:

  1. God, I wish I would have read this months ago when I bought it. Damn the cheap ebook deals for luring me in and then SUCKING! Have you ever read Cinderella in Cleats, total cheapo ebook that I thought had the potential to match Catching Jordan, but it was so bad I wanted to poke myself in the eyes so I could not see the words anymore. Anyways if you want to see more of my rant about this book here is my review otherwise, hust stay away from it! lol

    Anyways I love your blog!

    Kelley Lee of Reading to Stay Alive

    ReplyDelete