Sunday, December 9, 2012

{Review} Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Format: e-book
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: May 8th, 2012
Date Read: June 24st, 2012
Rating
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.


Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.

I had to pick this book up. After all the hype, I couldn’t not read it. I even bought it! This book deserves all the hype it’s getting. Read the blurb if you haven’t. Doesn’t it seem a good place for insta love? I mean “have to stick close to Daemon”. But good news, there is no insta love here. When it says Katy hates Daemon’s guts, she means it. Daemon is the biggest jerk I’ve ever read about. He beats Jace, guys! He is just UGH! 

Sure there is some drooling over Daemon because he’s hot, yet she immediately reminds herself how much a jerk he is. At one point, Daemon and another was embarrassing her in front of everyone, what does she do? Katy doesn’t run away, she DUMPS HER FOOD ON THEM! And just when you think she can’t get any better, she is a devoted book blogger. Why can’t Katy be real?!?! 

I completely adored this book. I finished it in 5 hours, staying up till 12:30 am. 


Characters


Katy has to be one of my favorite heroines ever. She was logical, witty, and did not accept Daemon’s attitude just ’cause he’s handsome. She didn’t like Daemon. You’re probably screaming “Why does she keep reminding me of that?!?”. It’s probably because Daemon was hot. And this is a YA book. And she hated him. Yeah, sorry about that. She’s… awesome. 

Daemon, the biggest jerk that ever didn’t live. He was urgh for most of the book and when he finally stopped being a complete jerk, I really still couldn’t love him. Maybe he’ll be better in the next book, but I’ll never fangirl him. Not that I’ve ever fangirled any guy before. *cough Naji cough*

Dee was cute, perky, and fun to read about. I really loved her character. She could kick butt and still look awesome while doing. Sort of reminds me of a Pinkie Pie/Isabelle from TMI mix. If that even makes any sense… it doesn’t… yeah… let’s just keep going… 


Plot & Writing


Plot: 
Ok, truth be told I didn’t know what to expect. YA aliens? All I could think of was I AM NUMBER FOUR, which isn’t exactly the best thing to say. But it turns out the idea of Lux was really interesting. I loved whole manipulating light thing. Am I the only one who thought the plot screamed: “X-MEN!”? 
The plot went smoothly, I never felt bored or distanced. It was fast when it should have been and slower when the story called for it. 

Writing:
The prose was magnificent. I felt like I was inside Katy’s head, and boy was that an awesome thing. It was quirky and unique. I didn’t once feel like a robot or a plank of wood had replaced our (splendid) main character. 


Likes and Dislikes


Liked: 
- Katy 
- The aliens 
- Dee 
- Most of the characters (excluding Daemon from our happy party) 
- great prose 

Disliked: 
- Daemon (*cues evil eyes* HOW DO YOU LIKE HIM OCEANA)


Conclusion


This book was amazing. My recommendation: go. buy. the. damn. book. already. 



Lisbeth is an American teenager who enjoys blowing shit up in videogames and discussing decapitation in great detail. She's also obsessed with Oceana, but you're not supposed to know that.


No comments:

Post a Comment